Memo to self: So you want a gift for a near-and-dear this Christmas that is more meaningful than ever before? A good place to start might be with commonplace mistakes, such as:
1) You buy things that you'd appreciate yourself...assuming/hoping (wrongly) the receiver will too.
2) You leave it too late, so don't have enough time for planning or considering enough options.
3) You throw money at the problem in place of thoughtfulness.
Very simply, if we do the opposites of 2 and 1 in that order, then 3 won't be necessary and there's a much higher probability that our near-and-dear will love their gift. So...
1) If you haven't done so yet, start planning NOW. Set aside enough time on several occasions to give this the research that your near-and-dear deserves.
2) Forget what you'd like. Focus on your near-and-dear and be guided by what they like. If we pay attention, there is evidence all around us: Favourite possessions or recent excursions, nerdy hobbies or pastimes, memberships of clubs or societies, or frequently occurring conversation topics. NB To males reading this, I never said it would be easy :-)
Using as an example the steak and wine/ale gift packages that we sell, recipients most likely to appreciate them will be enthusiastic carnivores and keen home cooks; eager viewers of Masterchef or Great British Menu or similar; and already at or beyond 'Peak Stuff' in their lives.
Indeed, we did a survey not long ago and found than many people have at least one near-and-dear for whom it's difficult or impossible to find a suitable gift, because they already have more than enough meaningful possessions.
On a practical note, if steak and wine or ale is a suitable choice, it is possible to buy nice and early, then freeze the steak until the day you hand it over. The package design makes them easily opened for you to do this, then re-close with the frozen steaks back in place and no-one any the wiser. Just don't forget to put them back!!!
If you do browse our shop, you'll also find lots of extra goodies in various combinations.
Whether you buy from us or not, best wishes for successful and appreciated gift selections for your near-and-dear(s) this coming festive season.
Phil and the other Perfect Night In elves